As a member congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), First Presbyterian Church embraces the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms as the system of doctrine taught in Holy Scripture. Among our emphases are the following:
- The Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- There is one God, eternal and self-existing in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
- All mankind, having fallen in Adam, is lost in sin and in need of a Savior.
- The sovereign God, by his own free grace, sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to be the Savior of his people through his atoning death and resurrection.
- Justification is by grace alone, through faith in Christ alone.
- The goal of God's salvation in a Christian's life is holiness, good works and service for God's glory.
- At death the Christian's soul passes immediately into glory in the presence of God, his body to be raised in glory on the last day.
- Jesus Christ will return to earth in visible glory, at a time not revealed, to consummate history and reign forever.
The following articles will be helpful in explaining a few of our fundemental beliefs: